[Ruby_E_Template slug="time-header"]
Fight Against CriminalFight Against Criminal
Font ResizerAa
  • World
  • Travel
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Fashion
Search
  • Home
    • Home 1
    • Home 2
    • Home 3
    • Home 4
    • Home 5
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Opinion
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • World
    • Science
    • Health
  • Bookmarks
  • More Foxiz
    • Sitemap
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Opinion

Lakshadweep divers bump into wreck of centuries-old warship

admin
Last updated: January 4, 2025 8:59 pm
admin

[ad_1]

Lakshadweep divers bump into wreck of centuries-old warship

CHENNAI: A group of divers exploring marine life near Kalpeni island in the Lakshadweep archipelago stumbled on Saturday morning upon the wreck of what, it appeared, had been a warship.
Going by the nature of the wreck, researchers believe the ship, fitted with cannon, might have belonged to any of the three European powers – Portuguese, Dutch, or British – and was sunk sometime during the fight for supremacy over the ancient maritime route connecting the Middle East and Sri Lanka in the 17th and 18th centuries.
“When we spotted the wreck on the western side of Kalpeni, we didn’t know it was a warship. When we found a cannon and an anchor, we realised it could be an important find,” said Satyajeet Mane, a marine explorer who led the group of divers from Brannadives, on the condition of anonymity.
They said they would inform the local authorities about the find. “We found it at a depth of just four or five metres at the mouth of a lagoon. The wreckage appears to be spread over the deeper parts of the Arabian Sea,” said Mane. “Going by the size of the ship, the cannon, and the metal, it could be a European warship. More exploration is needed.”
Idrees Babu, a scientist at the department of science and technology and a mentor to the divers’ group, said such a shipwreck has not been recorded in the region earlier. tnn
“The ship might have been 50m-60m in length. The East India Company started using iron ships on this trade route in the 17th century or 18th century. We need underwater archaeological studies to learn more about it; till then we need to protect the site,” he said.
When the British used iron ships, the Portuguese continued to use ships made of iron and wood. “The coral growth on the wreckage and corrosion makes it difficult to immediately ascertain if the ship was made fully of iron or it had components of wood too. The coral growth indicates it has been submerged for a few centuries,” said Mane.



[ad_2]

Source link

Previous Article PM Modi hails rise in rural consumption, says vision is to empower villages PM Modi hails rise in rural consumption, says vision is to empower villages
Next Article 8-Year-Old Boy Found Alive: 'True miracle': 8-year-old survives 5 days in Zimbabwe park filled with dangerous animals 8-Year-Old Boy Found Alive: ‘True miracle’: 8-year-old survives 5 days in Zimbabwe park filled with dangerous animals
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

[Ruby_E_Template slug="time-related"]
[Ruby_E_Template slug="time-footer"]
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account