[Ruby_E_Template slug="time-header"]
Fight Against CriminalFight Against Criminal
Font ResizerAa
  • World
  • Travel
  • Opinion
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Fashion
Search
  • Home
    • Home 1
    • Home 2
    • Home 3
    • Home 4
    • Home 5
  • Categories
    • Technology
    • Opinion
    • Travel
    • Fashion
    • World
    • Science
    • Health
  • Bookmarks
  • More Foxiz
    • Sitemap
Follow US
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
World

Donald Trump urges Nato members to spend 5% of GDP on defence

admin
Last updated: January 8, 2025 3:48 am
admin
Donald Trump urges Nato members to spend 5% of GDP on defence

[ad_1]

Donald Trump urges Nato members to spend 5% of GDP on defence

US President-elect Donald Trump said Tuesday Nato members should be spending 5% of GDP on defence, up from the current 2% minimum.
“They can all afford it, but they should be at 5% not 2%,” Trump told reporters.
“Europe is in for a tiny fraction of the money that we’re in,” Trump continued. “We have a thing called the ocean in between us, right? Why are we in for billions and billions of dollars more money than Europe?”
At the Vilnius Summit in 2023, Nato leaders agreed upon a defence Investment Pledge, making a commitment to invest at least 2% of GDP annually on defence.
Nato chief Mark Rutte, who took office as the military alliance’s 14th Secretary General on October 1 last year, is also keen for an increase in defence spending as “we are going to need a lot more than 2%,” the former Dutch prime minister said last month.
Rutte also said that European nations were not prepared for the threat of future conflict with Russia, calling on Nato members to “turbocharge” defence spending.
Trump, who was an outspoken critic of Nato during his first term in office, is set to return to the White House for a second stint after his inauguration on January 20.
Scholz criticises Green Party proposal for defence spending hike
Before Trump made his remarks, the notion of an increase in Nato members’ defence spending was dismissed by German Chancellor Olaf Scholz. Scholz belongs to the center-left Social Democratic Party.
Scholz responded to a proposal made by Robert Habeck, who will lead the Greens into German federal elections on February 23, when he said the proposal to increase defence spending was a “half-baked” idea.
“Who will pay the bill? The citizens?” Scholz told The Stern Weekly, a current affairs magazine published in Hamburg.



[ad_2]

Source link

Previous Article Torres investment scam: 3 held, 7.4cr in firm's bank a/cs frozen | Mumbai News Torres investment scam: 3 held, 7.4cr in firm’s bank a/cs frozen | Mumbai News
Next Article Virat Kohli’s ‘mental block’ decoded by Ricky Ponting | Cricket News
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

[Ruby_E_Template slug="time-related"]
[Ruby_E_Template slug="time-footer"]
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account